Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup

Today, is one of those South Florida days, that you welcome a nice bowl of soup. It's raining, and a nice breeze, but still a hot 82 degrees. We're not seeing fall or falling leaves around here, that's for sure! I connected with a lot of nice friends through Foodbuzz, and they are from all over the United States, and the World. I'm glad that I have the Google Translator on my blog, so other people with different languages can actually translate it to their own. I think it's so cool to have that widget. Sure brings a lot of us together...and not have to have the mishap of the biblical Tower of Babel. We're all ONE...and one thing I'm sure of is that we all share common interests, being FOODIES!
I didn't feel like going to the store to pick up any specialty items, my "good old standby" bag of shrimp in the freezer always is a good "friend." Ready, when I am...sounds kind of corny, but it really is true. For the Thai shrimp noodle soup, all you need is the shrimp, the rice noodles, some vegetable, and don't forget the spices. The Thai sweet, and spicy chili sauce, always works, and it's good for dipping as well. Instead of posting the recipe later, I will start now. I hope you enjoy a different soup, instead of the same old...same old, and also really good if you're a vegetarian, No meats of any kind that is in the soup. Just all fresh ingredients. I wanted to keep the broth separate, and the shrimps separate, but decided to combine the two, so instead of eating a vegetable soup, and shrimp with vegetables on the side the best of the two are happily joined together.
The first thing I do, is saute the onions, garlic, and peppers, add some chopped fresh cilantro, and the strained cooking liquid from the shrimp shells and tails, and add it to the heated up vegetable broth that already has the sugar snap peas in it.
...and here's the finished product. The shrimp goes in with the sauteed vegetables, at the very last minute, when vegetables are soft and just tender, and let shrimp turn pink. Add together the shrimp and vegetable mixture, and serve it in a nice soup terrine. This is not just any soup terrine.
Did I get lucky?...or did I get luck! A Graf von Hennenberg Porzellana 1777, from The German Democratic Republic. It has the green crest on the bottom, and the coat of arms. Truly a beautiful porcelain work of art. Don't know what year, don't know what it's worth, but I would not want to sell this beauty. It's a keeper! Paid $7.99 for this truly antique at World Thrift, in West Palm Beach. The elderly couple that some me buy it, suggested that I take it to the  antique fair that we have here, to have it appraised! I just might do that out of curiosity.
Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup

1/2 lb. shells and tail on, large deveined shrimp
(you can use 1lb. if you like)
32 oz carton all natural. vegetable broth, or 2 16 oz. cans
1 cup water
2 1/4 in. thick slices of peeled fresh ginger
( or 1 teaspoon of good quality powdered ginger)
1 red bell pepper, sliced diagonally, or
(1 orange, or yellow bell pepper)
1 green bell pepper sliced diagonally, or
(you can stay with just the yellow, orange or red)
1 medium onion cut in half, and sliced diagonally
3 oz. fresh snap peas, string removed from the back
( you can use frozen pea pods if you like instead of fresh)
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
juice of 1 lime
handful of fresh cilantro chopped
3 oz. rice sticks (rice noodles)
1 Tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce (also used for dipping)

Remove shells and tails from shrimp, and boil them in the 1 cup water, strain the liquid, and set aside. In a large skillet,over medium high heat. Saute the onions, peppers, garlic and ginger, (or add the ginger powder) in the vegetable oil. When the onion starts to get wilted, add the cilantro, and saute for another few minutes. Add the chili  Add the shrimp, the chili sauce, the juice of the lime, and  the reserved strained water. Let the shrimp get nice and pink and take it off the heat. Have the broth ready at this time, warming it up, adding the snap peas, At this time, you can add all the ingredients from the shrimp, and mix it into heated broth. It's ready to ladle out, adding a little more chopped cilantro on the top. Serves 4.
note:
This is not too spicy, but you can add more chili sauce to the individual bowls, and also extra lime juice.
Enhanced by Zemanta

13 comments:

Lizzy said...

Looks SO yummy...and great bowl!

Belinda said...

Sounds like a perfect recipe for that weather - slurp slurp slurp.

Elisabeth said...

Lizzy,
It really was a nice welcome change from all the other ways I've been making shrimp!

Elisabeth said...

Thanks Belinda, it really was nice, and it's still raining here, on and off!

Jennifer-Adventuresome Kitchen said...

Oh that looks so delicious! I just love Thai soups. And that terrine- what a special find- something you'll be able to treasure and pass on to your kids!

Elisabeth said...

Hi Jennifer,
I love Thai soup too, especially with just the right Thai spices. Fresh ginger, and Thai chili sauce always works for me. We have a local Oriental market that carries everything, including fresh Asian produce, and all the spices and condiments that you've never been able to find anywhere else. As for the terrine, it is truly an heirloom from someone, that took such good care of it. I will surely pass this on, and know that it will be appreciated.

Karen said...

I have to tell you: I saw this post the yesterday and started craving this kind of dish so much that I completely forgot to comment and went to the kitchen and made a fish/rice thai bowl because that's what I had on hand. Thanks for the inspiration! Your soup looks SO good!

Nicki Woo said...

The soup looks divine! I've had vietnamese Pho on my mind lately. Maybe I'll cook that up soon.

So glad to hear your connecting with others from around the world. I'd love to do that to. I recently joined Foodbuzz (you were one of my first friends), but I never thought to go out looking for others from different countries. I'm still so new to the blogger world. Thanks for the great recipe and the advice, even if you didn't know you were handing it out!

Gina said...

This one sounds great, I've been making noodle soup for the last couple of days and I can't get enough! Nice score on the bowl, I'm gonna have to go shopping with you, if I ever make it your way!
-Gina-

Elisabeth said...

Nicky,
Funny, you should mention the Vietnamese Pho. Check out Gina's post on Pho.
I like to connect with friends from other parts around the world. I can manage 3 other languages besides English, but good thing I have the google translator set up on my blog. I check out your blog, and you have some real nice and healthy recipe there too. Love the salsa, and the shrimp jambalaya one, including others too.
Your childere are adorable, you have such a nice family. I wish you all the best!
I'm glad I was one of your first friends, and I know you will have many more.

Elisabeth said...

Gina,
I left a comment on your blog too. regarding your beautiful Vietnamese Pho. If you ever want to come this way, I'd be happy to go shopping for bargains with you. I always seem to find great stuff, that becomes a treasure for me.

Elisabeth said...

Thank you Theresa, We're not getting colder nights here, in South Florida, but sure enjoy any kind of soup, all year round. I just love fresh cilantro, fresh ginger, Thai chili sauce, and a squeeze of fresh lime that went into the soup. Not too spicy, but refreshing, and warming your tummy, and spirit! Will check out you site!

denise said...

I also have that bowl. The reason I am on your website is because I'm reseaching this bowl. When we bought our house three years ago the previous owner was downsizing and left furniture and kitchen ware. In the basement is a box marked 'good dishes & cutlery'; everything is carefully wrapped so I unwrapped 5 pieces, a creamer, sugar bowl & lid, bread plate and this bowl.Please let me know if you find out more. Now I will have to check everything in that box. I can't wait!