Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Three in One Salad

After all those ooey-gooey cheesie comfort food dishes, it's time to get down to real serious salad eatings. I created this salad at my daughter's (you can see, the blue plates are hers, not a thrift find,..a perfect lunch, yet comfortably pleasing with Greek pita bread she purchased, and the wonderful Greek yogurt from our local Middle Eastern market. The avocado was from the local Cuban produce market, so is this Greece, meet Cuba, in South Florida. Not too shabby!

Three in One Salad

Top Layer: Tzatziki

1 large cucumber peeled, halved, and cut into thirds,
 insides scooped out and  cut into 1/4 inch small slices. 
1/2 cup Greek plain yogurt
small amount of fresh snipped, or dried mint, or dill, or oregano (I used dried oregano)
salt and pepper to taste
a dash of rice vinegar (very mild)

Mix all the ingredients together, and serve it on top of the salad, (or on the side if you prefer)
Serves 2

Middle layer: Avocado and tomato salad

2-4 small mature, just ripe avocados,
skin removed, split in half and diced into cubes
2-4 plum tomatoes, cut in half and cubed
1 bunch scallions, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 jalapeno peppers diced
juice of 1 lime 
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste.

Mix together all the ingredients, in a medium bowl, and save it for the middle layer of the salad, along with the dressing in it. No additional dressing needed.

Bottom layer: 1 bag of European mixed salad

1 6 oz can of imported Italian light  tuna in olive oil (or your favorite brand)
Start out on a dinner plate, with a nice portion, or half of the bag of salad, next, divide the tuna into nice chunks and scatter it evenly on 2 dinner plates, with oil in it..(don't drain liquid, or oil)...next, divide, and layer the avocado tomato salad including the dressing. The top portion is the tzatziki, just scoop that on the top, and serve it with pita bread, or naan, or bread of your choice. A hearty, healthy, satisfying lunch. Serves 2-4, if smaller portions are to be prepared.
















Can you believe it? 12 limes for $1.00. Can't beat this price!

16 comments:

Spicie Foodie said...

Well you had me at avocado. I love avocado in salads, and this sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Angie's Recipes said...

I LOVE avocado! And I am all for the salads dressed with tzatziki.

Tiffany said...

What a great looking salad! I could use a little lettuce in my life, but this is much more, thanks for posting!

Liz Bridges said...

Like many of the others, I LOVE avocado, so the second I saw that in the photo, I was interested. I also love salads that are really hearty and filling-- not "bird food!" I never heard of tzatziki before, but it sounds great on top of this salad!

Kim Kelly said...

Nicely done!! A perfect salad for all tastes. Love the avocado!

Kristen said...

This sounds wonderful and it's so pretty to look at, too. I especially like how you added jalapenos to spice it up, but the tzatziki balances it out.

Food Fun Freak said...

so lovely colorful and yummmmmm......

Cake Duchess said...

This looks great!! Love the flavor combo! Great job;0)

Sara said...

Very nice. I recently made a tzatziki sauce and was pleased at how easy it is. Nice touch with the rice vinegar. I'll definitely try that next time.

Jennifer-Adventuresome Kitchen said...

What a fun salad! I love Tatzkiki, love tomatoes and avocado- love salad greens. Great idea!!

Lisa said...

I love eating healthy, so salad recipes are always welcome in my house.

Don said...

Nice, Elizabeth. Tatziki, even... Now that's my kind of salad. Thanks!

Gina said...

I loved all the oooey gooey recipes, but a salad like this does sound good. I love avacados, especially in salads. I like the greek flavors too. I've never seen limes that cheap here, that's quite a score!
-Gina-

Lizzy said...

I could eat this every day for lunch!

Emma said...

I LOVE tzatziki - I eat it by the bucketloads it seems, and the addition of avocado and Italian tuna in oil makes this a delicious looking salad :)

Kimberly Peterson said...

This salad looks absolutely divine! Looking forward to trying this in summer - thanks for the recipe! :)