Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Grilled Asparagus...and People Watching!

Asparagus is such a nice vegetable to serve so many different ways but most important that you do not over cook it, otherwise it loses it's beautiful appearance and you will also lose their benefits of their important vitamins and protein. It is an excellent source of potassium and vitamin A & C. Rich in niacin, and low in sodium.
I'm linking this to Full Plate Thursday 5-19-11 @Miz Helen's Country Cottage

If you don't want to turn on your outdoor grill for the asparagus, you can easily grill it in a cast iron skillet ...but will turn on the grill for the (ribs) skillet has been pre-greased, and preheated. All you really need to do is just wash and cut of the thick ends, season them with a little extra virgin olive oil, some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and heat on both sides for just a few minutes...
better yet, click over to Toni's blog @Boulder Locavore  and she will enlighten you with even more information on this wonderful, and beautiful vegetable. She has the most amazing blog and you will appreciate her unique and delicious things that she makes. If you would like to see another version of this beautiful vegetable, check out Kate's blog @Diethood, for her Roasted Asparagus with Bacon and Feta, and you will see how versatile asparagus can be. Also if you're craving for a really delicious and super easy tart with asparagus, you must check out Kirsten's blog @My Kitchen in the Rockies. her blog will amaze you with all the beautiful dishes she creates, and the photos, as well!

Another post of the pork spare ribs...you ask? I made this Sunday at my son's house. Spent the entire day with them, and ended up cooking, which of course is "second nature" to me. They had this huge slabs of ribs from Costco. and just as I was leaving to go home brought out the ribs and asked if I can stay for dinner as well. How can you turn down spare ribs?...My son back again, from his vegetarian ways...just can't resist certain meats!
As in my previous post of the ribs, I baked them off first for at least a good 45 minutes in a 400 degree F. oven.
Cut the ribs in 4 pieces of portions, as you see on the photo, place them in an aluminum lined rimmed large baking pan.

Drizzle some vegetable oil on them, salt, pepper, garlic powder, to taste, and also some type of vinegar. (I prefer white) but they only had balsamic, which was a new try...also they were out of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce..."no Worcestershire sauce" I asked?...that is when a good bottle of Balsamic will do the trick.
When it is ready to throw on the grill, take them out of the oven, and brush on both sides of the ribs, your favorite barbecue sauce. and literally just grill for no longer than 25 minutes. When it's ready, cut into individual pieces just as it is on the photo above...right on a large cutting board, and serve it on the board, as it is. So good, melt in your mouth amazing ribs, and so tasty, cutting and serving on a large wooden board.


Nothing beats sitting on the deck relaxing, and browsing through one of your favorite cookbooks. I'm sitting on my son's small deck in the back of their house. Everything is in a Zen, Buddhist theme. Serenity and calm. You can really just "chill" out and listen to your thoughts, and ideas!
It's so nice to just sit, and watch nature, or for that matter, people in my next photos. As I was sitting and browsing through Cara's cookbook which is from my all time favorite author whose recent book I offered as a giveaway, this is the author who I was talking about in my past post. Sheila Lukins. The New Basics Cookbook which I also had a copy of but donated it to Goodwill, is just an honest and the best recipes... without photos, but plenty of drawing illustrations. This book was originally edited in 1989, the height of my cooking/catering career. A "bible" of the best recipes that you can refer to. Now, my sweet d-in-law let me take the book home because there are a lot of recipes in there that I have used, and will bring back again.

So, let's get on to the people watching!

How often do you just sit, and watch the world go by?...Well, we all do that, otherwise we wouldn't be human. Do you ever just sit in a public place, as on a beach, a social event, or just on a bench in a park, or any public place where people come and go?...what goes through your mind, or wonder what goes through their mind? ...chances are they are just passing through and you're the one in deep thoughts checking out the individuals. There are many people out there in all shapes and sizes, nationalities, colors, and let's not define their "religion" or "no religion." The point is...
"People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone"...LOL, let's not get into that deep, quoting from the "Doors" song, but basically
we do have to admit that some people are really strange...but that's what makes life interesting.
 
Sunday, May 8th, 2011...Hollywood Beach, Florida. Not to poke fun, but I do like to take photos even of my own family when they're not watching. This is where we arrived from our location in West Palm Beach, a 45 minutes ride. I was really surprised that daughter Lora, or her hubby has never seen the famous beach in Hollywood. On the left in the pink shirt is 9 yr. old granddaughter Gabby, Lora in the coral colored shirt walking, and hubby being guided by grandson Luca, age 5...lets' continue!
You can rent all sorts of fun rides, as in this 3 wheeler...single bicycles, bicycle built for 2, or 4, for that matter.
You can also rent these "sedways?" is that what you call them?...anyway these cool thing are what "mall cops" ride around in the malls...but here on Hollywood beach you can ride on them too...so cool!
Watching people from the Turkish restaurant we were at, on the patio...happy little guys on the beach, one riding the three wheeler, the other briskly walking behind...and on the beach, more "people" watching!
You can always bring a pair of skates with you...as this guy does, and opt for a terrific tan.
...or how about this guy?...I think he's been on a diet too long. He literally fell off this curb from flexing his "imaginary" muscles, and doing exercise on the ledge...picked himself up, and started again, just hangin' around on the ledge.
...and oh, if you have a thong bikini, by all means, show them off...LOL...and this young lady just did that.
"Pants on the ground" guy...could not get a good shot with the shadow, but then he realized someone is watching and attempted to pull his pants up!
Three elderly guys on the left...still in good physique...and a young guy jogging. Take your pick!
OK...back to the bicycles again...good work out on the beach!
You can get creative, and design your own shade and comfort with plastic and aluminum foil...just like this guy did...wonder if he takes orders to make one for you?...LOL
Just so you will feel secure...there are professional security guards all over the beach on bicycles...like this one in the middle!
The "rat pack" team again...watching the guy with the "pants on the ground"...or the custom style bicycle guy?...or maybe another "bikini clad" girl...whichever it was, they sure were enjoying themselves!
.
This is the really good restaurant where we ate our lunch...nothing fancy, not expensive...just great Mediterranean food...and watch the world go by!
Falafel platter with hummus, tomatoes, and lettuce.
Greek salad appetizer...a little too much oregano, and dill sprinkled on...but other than that, everything was so fresh, and delish!
Grilled steak, and grilled peppers and onions...the steak was share by all...the food was so good and filling!
Baba Ganoush (eggplant caviar)...with fresh homemade pitas...and more Greek salad!
Can't leave the Tabbouleh out...cracked bulgur wheat with plenty of fresh herb, such as parsley, mint, and dill, with lots of lemon juice squeezed on it, and diced tomatoes with chopped onions...yumm!
Some of us text...while some of us enjoy a nice chilled Corona beer with a piece of lime...so refreshing!
As we were leaving, couldn't ignore the local bus...or maybe a "tour bus"...taking this photo from the car. (you can see the right rear view mirror)...One fun trip in one's lifetime, with a lot of fun, and fond memories spent with your loved ones...a treasure that you share...smiles...
Enhanced by Zemanta

42 comments:

Kati said...

De szívesen lennék én ott most, egy ilyen napfényes helyen, de az sem most lesz, sajnos.

Little Brick Ranch said...

Hysterical!! Pants on the ground guy! Love the guy who fell from flexing. Love the SUPER tan ma...he should probably have a cap for being so super. Love that shot of the 2 bikes going opposite ways - great timing!! Ohhhh...and so jealous of your lunch!! :) Looks like you had a great time!

Swathi said...

I always your fan, when you clicks and write about it. Awesome. Nice food, great clicks, I like that aliuminium foil bicycle. grilled asparagus is perfect.

Boulder Locavore said...

Elisabeth! Thank you for the nod to my asparagus but I want to crawl through this screen for the ribs AND the patio libation at the end! It is raining here in never-going-to-be-warm-again Colorado; freezing rain. Planned to for the next few days. Looking at your beach photos looks unbelievable to me in my rain slicker, boots, down jacket, etc. I LOVE your posts with the walkabouts. A wonderful dose of arm chair travel!

Christine Wu said...

So you're Lora's mom? I can't believe it, all the while, I've been reading both your and Lora's blogs but never knew it til this post! Those asparagus look gorgeous!

Pegasuslegend said...

Nice photo's hope you have a great week!

Melynda said...

What a great day! The asparagus looks delish! bacon and feta sounds yummy too. Thanks Elisabeth.

Brenda said...

What fantastic photos, such fun looking at them! Thanks for the smiles. :o) We buy our ribs at Costco too and while I've had roasted asparagus, I've never had grilled. Thanks for the heads up Elisabeth. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Christine's Pantry said...

Nice photos.

Velva said...

I loved this photo journey-yes, I eat and people watch all the time.

Velva

P.S. I really like your son's zen patio setting. In the morning with a good hot cup of coffee, and the evening with a good glass of wine.

Pacheco Patty said...

Hi Elizabeth, great pictures- I love to people watch and especially from that restaurant with all the great looking food! I just made asparagus for dinner tonight, a salad recipe for this Friday with Dorie, I have to fit it in somewhere! Isn't it nice to spend a fun day like this with your beautiful family;-)
Ps. thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love asparagus! Yours looks so good, and so do those mouthwatering ribs. :) It sure looks like you and your family had a great time together!

aipi said...

Hi Elisabeth ~ such beautiful beach pics ~ its a treat to visit your site everytime ~ I love the sedways ~ really cool!
Believe it or not I just walked in through the door with a big thing of asparagus from Costco. Was wondering what recipes to use it in and here you are with perfect solution! I know hubby will like the grilled asparagus :)
US Masala

Bianka said...

Irigy már a tengerparti feelingért is Nagyon jóóóó

Tina (PinayInTexas) said...

Love your grilled asparagus as well as all the pix, Elisabeth! Very nice!

My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

Hi Elisabeth, I know it has been a while. I find less and less time to comment on other blogs these days. It should get better as soon as vacation will start. Oh, yes please feel free to link my post, thanks!!
Roasted asparagus is one of my favorite. Most of the time I just stick it in the oven.
Isn't there anything more interesting as people watching? LOVE it! Looks like a lot of fun out on the beach.

laurie said...

I love to people watch,, and I love asparagus,,thanks for visiting my blog,,I'm you're newest follower,

Diethood.com said...

Um...those ribs! They look phenomenal! Finger licking good!

Oh how I wish I lived in Florida! I keep telling hubz that we need to leave the midwest asap...we've had winter weather for almost 7 months now...yuck!!

P.S. I am sooo happy to know that you liked my asparagus dish!! Thank you!!

Lilla said...

Che meraviglia questa spiaggia! Ci sono dei colori stupendi... W i falafel!

Sihirli Yazılar said...

Yes, asparagus mustn't be overcooked, must be just heated for a few minutes. You're right...
I always remember your blog with that sentence: "Life is like an onion":) It means Elisabeth's blog for me:))
Note: Photos are quite beautiful.

Patty said...

Great photos and a great way to spend a day with family!!!

Lizzy said...

Oh, your blue skies are amazing! I'm hoping we see the sun this week :)

Lizzie, such a fun post as always and so much to comment on...The New Basics cookbook which was my newlywed bible, the ribs (your mouthwatering photos have enticed me to pull some baby back ribs out of the freezer for this weekend), your delicious restaurant food, and my favorite veggie: asparagus. And how fun that you've highlighted some of my favorite blogs, too. Hope you're having a good week...how could you not with that beautiful weather? xo

Roxana GreenGirl said...

I burst in laughter after seeing the guy in the bike LOL hilarious.
Great photos Elisabeth, loved each one of them.
I too find myself from time to time sitting in the park and watch people and cars passing by. Makes me forget about the dishes I left in the sink LOL

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post, hope you're having a great time

Monet said...

Oh it was so fun to see your photographs and those glorious green stalks. My mom loves asparagus, so your photos made me think of her. I love people watching too, and I've been doing quite a bit of it down here in Austin. I have missed visiting you and your blog. Thank you for always sharing these delicious eats and your sweet heart. I hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow. Hugs from Austin.

mangiabella said...

oh bella, everytime I visit your blog I simply do not want to leave...the photos were magnificent. I could almost feel the crunch of those asparagus in my mouth. The ribs are so succulent it's making my stomach growl...your son's backyard provides such a peaceful backdrop that it made me long for some quiet moments of my own. I confess me and my husband are such people watchers....I could just sit and sit and watch and watch for hours upon end...made me think of a favorite quote of mine by Mark Twain “There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy, and a tragedy.” Lastly, that mediterranean lunch is gorgeous...just gorgeous....I love it and don't get nearly enough of it....oh if you could only box it up and send it to me I would eat it all MYSELF haha!

A beautiful post..p.s. I'll be humming the Doors now for the rest of the night LOL

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Elizabeth! Oh so much fun! I totally enjoyed your post today, people watching with you! I can't believe it's arealdy that warm. Here in SF, I'm wearing like a sweather. :-( It's been cold and rainy again, after having 70F a few weeks ago. I hope you go people watching again! ;-)

Emma said...

The other day I was watching a TV show and the lead character was eating ribs and I got a sudden craving to make them, I've never made them before but you make it look easy.

Love the beautiful beach photos, people watching is a lot of fun.

Junia said...

ahhh i haven't had good mediterranean food in awhile!!! the hummus, falafels, and tabbouleh is making me hungry now!!!

Andrea said...

Wonderful photos! So glad you stopped by my blog and I have now found yours!

Angie's Recipes said...

wow I love green asparagus! The beach photos look so fun...the women with bikini on bicycle...that's cool!

Sandra said...

Oh my goodness.. Elisabeth these photos are gorgeous..I need some Florida in my bones:)) Love it!!! Awesome food too!

honey82 said...

Ciao Bella,come stai??
Sempre foto meravigliose le tue...THANK YOU!!!!!
Tutto FANTASTICO,dal cibo che hai preparato tu,alle foto sulla spiaggia al ristorante turco con le sue delizie..;-)
Un bacione Cara*

The KitchenMaid said...

Hi Elisabeth, again, a long time between visits but I do think of your blog often, even if I only make it here to lurk!
I was drooling over your asparagus, then I got to the ribs. YUM! Great tip about substituting balsamic for L&P too, even though we are never without L&P in this house!
Have a great weekend x

Chic & Gorgeous Desserts said...

Hi Elizabeth! As usual another great recipe which i must keep and try one day. I love ribs.. and asparagus too. I usually will have some bacon wrap around it and drizzle balsamic, some salt and pepper to taste and grill them.

Love your photos taken too.. The people watch part really light up my day as the captions were so hillarious.

Till then, you take care my dear friend. Cheers~ Jo.

''Cucina di Barbara'' said...

Dear Elisabeth!
Thank you so much for your suggestion about cooking them.
Sometimes seem simple cook asparagus, but it is so simple make mistakes!
thanks again!
Barbaraxx

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Elisabeth, this is such a funny post, and I love the people watching pictures! It all makes me crave summer so much! You have a lovely blog and I’m so glad to have found it. :) I'm going to check out more of what you've got now!

Michelle Smith said...

The food looks divine as usual! I love asparagus... it must be in season now because I noticed the price dropped at the grocery store! Yay!

Kristen said...

That was so much fun. It was fun to see all of the people at the beach. There sure are some characters everywhere you go! I am not sure I will have enough hands to cover all four of my sons' pairs of eyes when the thong ladies walk by once we get to Jacksonville. :-)

Miz Helen said...

Oh Elizabeth, I must admit, I just had to check out "the elders" and did in fact pick one...lol I have to have the pink bike, that one is for me. Now for your awesome food. The asparagus is just out of this world and I would just love to have a rack of those ribs, just delicious! Great post, great photo's, great adventure, great food, great friend! Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

Kathy said...

Elizabeth, Such a fun post…love to people watch, too! What a great place to do it! Such wonderful photos! Had to laugh at your very funny commentary! So enjoyed seeing you with your corona! Your ribs and asparagus are stunning! I'd love to be eating at your house! Great post! Enjoy what's left of your week-end!

Lin Ann said...

Oh darn, too bad I hadn't posted my asparagus dish earlier - just kidding! Fun post! Food, people, the beach, nice weather, cold beer! And thanks for the blog introductions, I visit a few of those and love them but I'll visit the ones you mentioned that I haven't seen yet. BTW, your ribs look absolutely delicious!!!

Chris & Lenny - Sun and Fun Cycles said...

Hey guys!

We're glad to see that you guys enjoyed the 4 person bike. (The "Limo" as we like to call it!)

Thanks for the mention in your blog!

Come visit us any time. We'll be more than happy to have your family again.