Saturday, September 11, 2010

Moroccan Spicy Shrimp

I just love to make skewered, broiled, or grilled shrimp. So fast, so easy, it's elegant, yet casual for any occasion. With the combination of the Moroccan spice blend, and Hungarian hot paprika, you can start with a Hungarian Csardas(a folk dance)...and end up Belly dancing...your choice. These spices really kick!
Moroccan Spicy Shrimp 

18 oz. peeled and deveined shrimp, tail left on
juice of 1 lemon
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Put all the shrimps, in a large baggie, In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients, and pour over the shrimp, seal and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Soak about 4 or 5 large bamboo sticks in cold water, for the same amount of time. skewer shrimp, as shown on photo, and broil, until they turn pink in a preheated broiler/oven, or you can grill them, which is also very nice. Should be about 40-44 shrimps. 
note: do not throw away the leftover marinade. You can brush more on top while you're broiling, or grilling, or you can heat in microwave for extra sauce. Serve with extra lemon slices, or wedges on the side.
Just have to show off this beautiful Italian platter. Notice the little butterfly on the right side? I found this in an antique shop, in West Palm Beach, before my "thrifting days." I still consider this a bargain. To me, it's not just a bargain, but to treasure something like this, which is so beautiful. The cost of this platter was about $35.00. I still think it was a bargain. The Moroccan spicy shrimp was served on this platter.
 
Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

Belinda said...

I love the combination of these spices! What a great dish.

Elisabeth said...

Thank you, Belinda! I omitted the cinnamon from the spice blend, I thought these were spicy enough. There wasn't a single shrimp left over within a few minutes.

Karen said...

You're right about shrimp being perfect for any occasion...you can dress them up for a nice dinner party, or serve them at a picnic! And I love the platter. I was just saying that I need to go to some thrift stores to find some fun serving dishes for photos! Nice find!

Gina said...

Oh man, I'm drooling over these right now, I think I'm going to have to go back out and get some shrimp. I love all the spices you used. I bet there wasn't any left!
-Gina-

Elisabeth said...

Hi Karen,
It's really a good idea to have a bag of frozen shrimp in your freezer. You can have a gourmet meal in a matter of minutes. As for platters, I find all the best ones in thrift stores. At the time I bought them I did not think about the photos for my blog, but in retrospect, I did the right thing.

Elisabeth said...

Hi Gina,
When I make shrimp of any kind, there is never any left over. The spices really make a big difference in flavor.