Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate"...Chocolate Cake...

Just to prove my point...cloudy, dreary, and rain, rain, rain, every single day, here in South Florida until Oct. 17, the official date for the end of our rainy season. Don't get me wrong that we don't get any sunshine...yes we do, even with all the rain. Clouds form on one side of the sky and it's clear and blue on the other side. The weirdest part is; when it rains on one side....for instance; down the road it is sunny...less than one mile away! I was so determined to take my photo of this classic Hershey's Chocolate Cake...by the time I finished, the clouds were rolling in...so there you have it...my worst best shot!
One hour later...delivered the cake to its destination...(did not realize the small smear taking it out of the carton)...doing yet, another 'photo prop' outside my daughter's back yard patio....little better natural lighting, then, a few minutes later...had to literally run inside with the cake because it started to rain. So there you have it; 'the rain saga'...once more!

While I was visiting and commenting on blogs, I stumbled on this wonderful 'classic' Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake from a dear new blogger friend, Dottie, @Family Plus Food Equals Love...what a sweet name for a food blog. She is so gracious, and talented; you can also find the Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chip recipe there, as well!

I haven't made this classic cake in a while, and I must say I had to adapt a few things, first...by adjusting the sugar amount and adding a small amount of 'real' butter to the batter, as well.

My modifications are in red

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
  • 2 cups sugar 1 cup of sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa 1 cup
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder 2 teaspoons
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda 1 teaspoon
  • 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs 3 eggs
  • 1 cup milk 1/2 cup milk boiled
  • 1/2 cup Hershey's semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1/4 cup veg. oil + 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter softened
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
                                                                                         
    1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
    2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, softened butter, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water, boiled milk, with chocolate chips added in the milk to melt (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
    3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. Makes 12 servings.

    Frost with FLUFFY WHITE (7-MINUTE) frosting

    VARIATIONS:
    ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
    THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
    Fluffy White Frosting, or 7- Minute Frosting...or Marshmallow Frosting is a true American 'classic' that has been around for decades...my very first time I tried it, was a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that was given to me as a gift, in 1974, when it was called...FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING!
    Every recipe I googled called for the addition of light corn syrup added...which I sparingly use...or don't use at all! I have been using McCormick Cream of Tartar instead...for years; which is a powdery substance, a very small amount added to make the frosting fluffy, and add body which the corn syrup adds...which happens to be a stabilizer. A tiny amount of the Cream of Tartar does it all!
    Fluffy White Frosting      

    1 cup white sugar


    1/3 cup water


    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar


    2 egg whites 
    I used 4 egg whites                                                   


    1 teaspoon vanilla extract


    This method is so much easier than the double boiler method, just make sure that you let the mixture get very bubbly, for a few minutes...it will get thicker, and almost a pale yellow color (after that it will turn amber) and you will have to make caramel sauce with it, adding cream to the amber sugar.
    The choice is yours; just carefully watch over the boiling sugar content!






    1. In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly.
    2. In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar mixture while whipping constantly until stiff peaks form, about 7 to 10 minutes. Frost the cake of your choice. 
    3. I have been making this frosting for my grown children when they were little...and now my 4 grandchildren are enjoying it, and it has become their very favorite. With 4 egg whites you can achieve the same quality...making sure you do the 'finger test'...seriously!

    17 comments:

    Angie Schneider said...

    wow..this looks so beautifully done, Elisabeth. And I love this healthier frosting meringue frosting. Black and white...a perfect combination.

    ~ Nee ~ said...

    Just gorgeous Elisabeth , I can almost taste the cake . I still call it the seven minute frosting and I also use food coloring for different colors like Christmas and other holidays . Thanks for sharing :)

    ~~louise~~ said...

    Hi Elisabeth!
    First I must say, Dottie is going to be absolutely thrilled that you were so enthralled with her cake that you baked it. It will make her so Happy!

    Made me pretty happy to because, sometimes, a girl just needs an enticing chocolate cake and of course for comfort sake it just has to be Hershey's (yes I live in Hershey state, lol)

    Love the frosting, like Nee, I call it 7 minute also:) As for the rain, at least the sun will be out before you know it:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Elisabeth...

    Phong Hong said...

    Elisabeth, I love your chocolate cake! The fluffy white icing makes it look so elegant! With Hershey's chocolate (a luxury over here!), this is a chocolate cake to die for. I think I might feel a whole lot better if I could have a slice (or two!) of your cake!

    Ola said...

    wow, such a cake helps to survive through the rainy season!

    kitchen flavours said...

    Hi Elisabeth,
    it has been sometime since I last baked a chocolate cake. Your cake looks wonderful, and your fluffy frosting looks perfect! Yums!

    Daiana Molineris said...

    Golosa,bella,soffice e tanto buona la tua torta carissima Elisabeth!!!:-))
    Complimenti,kisses and hugs see you soon <3

    Priya Suresh said...

    I want a super huge slice of this cake, that fluffy white frosting sounds absolutely gabulous.

    Kathy said...

    Wow Elizabeth, Your cake is totally mouthwatering! And that frosting looks amazing! Simply gorgeous! At least it’s warm in Florida! Rain or shine! Hugs!

    Illéskrisz Konyhája said...

    Nagyon finom lehet! Tényleg tökéletes. Remélem ezzel a tortával jó időtök lesz majd! Nagyon guszta!!

    Amelia said...

    Hi my dear Elisabeth, wow.... this cake look awesome. I especially like the frosting, it's perfect and gorgeous. Wish I can have a huge slice and don't mind licking the left over frosting too. LOL
    The cake picture taken at the backyard look perfect. 2 thumbs up or you.

    Have a lovely day. With lots of love and hugs to you.

    Zoe said...

    Hi Elisabeth,

    Are you still seeing dark clouds in your sky? I hope that you will be getting plentiful of sunshine soon... Be patient! 17 Oct is arriving soon :D

    Whether sunshine or rain, a slice of your perfect Hersey cake will surely make everyone happy!

    Not to forget, thanks for pinning and Goggle+ my apple tart post. I'm very happy that you like it :D

    Zoe

    Dawn Yucuis said...

    It has been a while, but I have made this cake too, so yummy. Yours looks so delicious. I hope the rain clouds go away for a while and you get some nice sun shine.

    mia xara said...

    Hi Elisabeth, what a gorgeous looking cake and frosting!!! If I had such a cake on my table, I would definitely ignore the rainy weather, at least as long as the cake lasted..lol..Have a great week, my dear..XOXO

    Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

    Zoe, I absolutely love your apple cake...a must make for family, since apple cake is their very favorite of all the others! Rain is less, and less now. Love to pin and Google + your posts! xo'

    Elisabeth Foodandthrift said...

    Thanks everyone...you've been so kind and truly a great friend! With all the rain we've been having every single day...there was always a small amount of sunshine after the rain...only to start raining again. This weekend was the best ever...no rain, plenty of sunshine, and beautiful breezes, here, in South Florida! xo

    lena said...

    elisabeth, i always experinced the same thing like you did, that is taking pictures in the garden and within minutes, you will have to carry back the food back to the house becos of the rain! And i always make sure my neighbours are not watching cos i feel a little silly doing that :D